Adamas - Triovassalos and Plakes - Plaka - Tripiti - Pollonia - Klima
to know Adamas
Adamas, a seaside village in Milos with approximately one thousand inhabitants,
is a tourist centre and port.
Between 1844 and 1914 it was a municipality, which in 1885 even had
its own member of Parliament.
This privilege was granted by the government in honour of the first
settlers, who were refugees from Sfakia in southern Crete.
Adamas and the rest of the island, offers us the utmost in comfort and
pleasure for our holiday.
Peace and quiet is combined with entertainment and an enticing night
life. Banks, a post-office, port police,
customs office, doctors, dentists, a chemist shop, Greek and international
are just a few of the facilities available to the visitor.
Without having to leave Milos Adamas, we can sunbathe on one of its two beaches.
As we look towards the sea from the village centre,
the first, Lagada,
is only 500 metres to the right while the other, Papikinos, is 1000
metres to the left,
just beyond the area called Neochori. Both beaches are shaded by tamarisk
and are wide enough to enjoy a game of tennis.
In Adamas there are a number of restaurants, ouzeries, pizzerias, snack
bars and grills,
all offering good service to summer visitors. Fish, lobster and octopus come direct from the morning catch.
After the evening meal, it is always relaxing to have a cake, an ice-cream
or a cool drink at a waterside cafe
while night falls, luring us to partake of its pleasures.
One morning we should visit the Milos Mining
Triada with its Ecclesiastical Museum and Kimisi Theotokou
(the Assumption of the Virgin) or Agios
Charalambos and nearby the small Catholic church of Saint
The largest church in the village and standing at the highest point,
is Kimisi Theotokou or Agios Haralambos.
It has distinctive architecture with three aisles roofed with arches
and a dome resting over the central aisle.