Archaeological Museum - Folk Museum - Mining Museum - Catacombs
At Kypos in the south of Milos, the church of, Panagia (the Virgin), is perhaps the oldest on the island. and was built in the Byzantine era, probably in the 5th century A.D. This is worth a visit, not only to see the architecture of the church but the baptismal font... one of the two on the island (the other is at three churches in the ancient city of Klima). Inside the church, there are marble remains of sarcophagi of the Hellenistic period and a marble parapet, giving a clear indication of age.
Agios Ioannis Sitherianos
The monastery of Agios Ioannis Sitherianos. has been referred to in writings dating as far back as 1582. Inside the church are documents preserved through the centuries and bearing witness to the miracles performed by this saint. Tradition says that on the night of the fiesta of Agios Ioannis, some pirates appeared. The crowd immediately recognised them and took refuge in the church, praying that the door would «turn to iron» so that the pirates would be unable to enter. Their prayers were answered, but one pirate climbed up onto the roof and pushed his arm through a hole, aiming his pistol at the believers. The saint then worked his miracle. The hand of the unfortunate pirate «withered» and the pistol fell harmlessly into the church... where it remains today.
On the hill above Klima near the hamlet of Klimatovouni stands the small church of Panagia Tourliani. There are magnificent views of the opening of the Gulf of milos and of the villages especially in the late afternoon when the sun sets. There are some.old icons decorating the altar screen.
In Halaga at a height of 750 metres above sea level is the old temple of Prophet Elias. It has been built on the hill which bears its name most likely by monks from the nearby monasteries. The views are amazing with the entire island spread at the feet of visitors.
The small church of Panagia Faneromeni is near the archaeological site of Klima . Inside there are two tombs woth arches and the alter bears signs of wall paintings . The church celebrates on 23rd August and after the evening service there is a fiesta in the courtyard.
The monastery of Agia. Marina in Halaga commands magnificent views of the mouth of the Gulf of Milos. It is known to have functioned as a monastery between 1672 and 1834 and was elegantly described by the French traveller Tournefort in 1700.
Prophet Elias of Klima
At the ancient site of Klima on top of the hilland in a most pisturesque position is the old church of Prophet Elias. It was built on the ruins of an ancient temple which is evident because of the existence of a number of marble areas. There are interesting icons on the altar screen.
Ecclesiastical Museum - Churches - Sulphur mine - Fiestas